THE Low Carb Keto Mexican 7 Layer Dip
7 layer dip is a classic party appetizer that usually consists of layered refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, tomatoes. Most of the ingredients fit perfectly into the keto diet – it’s only the starchy refried beans that are the problem. When I set out to create a Keto 7 Layer Dip, I mulled over my options and they were, frankly, limited.– I just really, really love it there and would live there full time if I could!
Anyway, we had some friends over to hang out at the pool one day after the recipe shooting was done, and I set this keto 7 layer dip out without telling anybody it wasn’t the classic version. I provided tortilla chips because none of them are on keto, and let them have at it. And I was on the edge of my seat wondering how it would go over.First there were lots of yummy noises and exclamations about it being delicious.
For the cauliflower layer:
- 4 cups cooked cauliflower florets, well drained
- 2 tablespoons sugar free mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning (you can get this in the spice aisle or on Amazon)
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or other light tasting oil)
For the avocado layer:
- 2 cups mashed avocado
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
To assemble the dip:
- 2 cups full fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
For the Cauliflower layer:
- Combine the cooked cauliflower, mayonnaise, Creole seasoning, heavy whipping cream, cumin, chipotle, and avocado oil in a blender or food processor.
For the Avocado Layer:
- Mash the avocados with a fork until a slightly chunky consistency is reached.
- Stir in the lime juice, salt and pepper.
- In an 8 inch trifle bowl or casserole dish, spread the cauliflower layer evenly over the bottom.
- Spread the sour cream layer over the cauliflower layer.
- Drop the avocado mixture by spoonfuls over the sour cream layer and carefully spread out until fully covered.
- Sprinkle the Creole seasoning over the avocado layer.